Sunday, May 24, 2009

The ER

Yesterday we had to take John Reagan to the Emergency Room. After everything was all said and done, Greg told me I needed to get on here and say that we made it to almost 3 years old before we had to go to the ER. I had to remind him otherwise. However, this was our first trip for a somewhat major accident.
Greg was swinging John Reagan yesterday, and John Reagan dropped his flip flop. Heaven forbid! In mid air he decided it was best to let go of the swing and check on his flip flop. As a result, he flip flopped...right on the crown of his head, jarring his neck and back. He cried for about 3 minutes then decided he wanted to take a nap. The nap part worried me the most. He didn't complain about anything hurting. We've had many head bangs before and knew that if his pupils were uneven we needed to call the doctor. When we got to checking him out, his pupils were unevenly dilated. Greg didn't get the whole story out before the nurse said, "Go to the Emergency Room." Three hours and a CT scan later, they confirmed what we knew. He was fine! Since he talked non-stop on the way to the hospital, we figured he would survive no problems. He had a grass stain and a little strawberry to commemorate his war wound. A day later...the bump and strawberry are gone, the grass stain remains.
Poor thing has been to the hospital so many times in his life, he gets excited over the whole process. Anytime we go by a hospital or to a hospital, he starts talking about either going to the hospital with Pawpaw, Fifi, and Momma or coming to visit Momma in the hospital. He remembers vividly when Evie was born AND when I had my gallbladder removed. Too funny! He is perfectly fine though. Praise God!
During the whole process, I was perfectly calm, thinking nothing about the situation. A couple of hours after we got home, I started realizing how bad it could have been and about fell apart. Every time he would walk by me with his cute little smile, I would have to hold back tears thinking about how thankful I was that he was okay. I think God created us to be a little naive in the mist of things as a defense to falling apart. At least that's the way I work.
If you are wondering, I'm not going to leave you hanging on the other ER visits. When John Reagan was almost 3 months old, we went looking at travel trailers. Most of the ones we checked out were winterized, and we could hardly walk to the door without our eyes burning. After the first walk-thru, we didn't take John Reagan into anymore, but that night after his bath, he looked really blue around his lips. When we called the nurse, she consulted with the doctor who thought we should bring him in just because we had looked at the winterized travel trailers. Needless to say, by the time we got there he was hardly blue around the mouth and perfectly fine.
Our second trip to the ER was in Louisiana. John Reagan was 15 months old, and we were home for 2 weeks for Greg's grandma. John Reagan got sick and just couldn't seem to shake it. He started running fever after several days and was breathing very shallow. Greg was a little worried and wanted to take him to the ER to be on the safe side. Thank God! John Reagan ended up with a 36 hour stay in the hospital for pneumonia...in July. Craziness!
I had to let Greg know yesterday that we didn't have the best track record. We pretty much have an ER visit for every year of John Reagan's life. Of course for Greg that is a great track record. By the time he was three his parents probably had to take him to the ER 1o times. I'm sure that is a little bit of an exaggeration but not too bad of one...lol!
To end on a lighter note, I thought I would share these two pictures with you. I just love them. They are too sweet! I can't say the boys are napping because Duchess decided to join them. Now if it was Max instead of Duchess...that would make for an interesting picture.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I think I would have been a basket case. Praise God everything tuned out ok.
Very cute pictures of the boys, and girl.