Wednesday, August 11, 2010

An Unexpected Visitor

John Reagan was outside the other day supposedly picking up his toys when he started hollering at me that there was a bird by his golf club. Me being used to the hollering scenario responds with something like, "That's good," while I go about my business. I know all of you moms have been there before. John Reagan being the way he is kept on and kept on until I decided to go check it out. Sure enough he was right, and this is what I found.
A baby hummingbird.
At least I think he/she is a baby. I have seen a hummingbird nest before, and I am pretty sure the little guy here wouldn't fit in it anymore. But he still didn't have a lot of color to him besides a line of green down his back. So the assumption remains...a baby. I left him alone for a little while until I got to thinking about the cats around the neighborhood, including our own. I decided to take him to the hummingbird feeder in the backyard hoping his mommy would find him there.

We do have a frequent visitor to the feeder, but he is a male. The male did show up later in the afternoon, and the two had some type of discussion no doubt about baby invading his space. We don't know what became of baby, but he was gone by the next morning. After reading a little about hummingbirds, we are hopeful mommy reunited with baby. He was nowhere to be found.
John Reagan really enjoyed him while he was around. As a matter of fact, it brought his nurturing side out even more. The next day he found a cricket in the house. We had to make cricket a nest to sleep in, and cricket slept on Daddy's nightstand. Thankfully for Daddy John Reagan had already played with cricket enough till his legs no longer worked. I am sure you get my drift. We put cricket in the backyard the next morning.

Evie pays a little bit of attention to all this nurturing going on, but she would just as soon go about her own business. We bought John Reagan (ahem...Daddy) a Wii not too long ago since we still haven't gotten the television hooked up. Daddy and Brother have been busy bees playing around. Evie as usual could care less about all the excitement going on. As a matter of fact, the same night we found birdie, she said she had had enough of all the excitement. She got Daddy's pillow, laid it smack dab in the middle of Daddy and Brother and proceeded to pass out. Daddy looked down to find this.
Unfortunately for us she took it as only cat nap time. Fun times!
If you are a Tennessean, the next time you will be hearing from us will hopefully be face to face. Yay! We leave tomorrow and are looking forward to seeing all of you. The excitement runneth over in the Hasley House. See you soon!

1 comment:

Rutledge 7 said...

looking forward to seeing you AGAIN!