Friday, September 4, 2009

Safety 1st

Every so often I have to pull the car seats out of the car and strip them down to threads for a good washing. This motivation is few and far between because I absolutely hate having to take those dang seats out and then latch them back in. When you have one seat, that's fine. It's not so bad. But when you have 2! Two that are practically on top of each other and are rather large. You almost have to be double jointed just to get your hand in there and unlatch them. You with car seats understand the latch system. It's great for the security of the seat but a pain in the (insert bleep) when you need to take them out.
I decided this week that ever so often had arrived. I had cleaned the seats with wipes as many times as I could. It was time for the deep down clean that only the good old washer brings. This decision came mainly because Evie's shoulder straps needed to come up, and since I had to take her seat out to do that I figured I might as well go ahead and take them both out and wash them. I could have lived with the filth just a little while longer to spare myself the headache.
Anyhoo, for some unknown reason, John Reagan LOVES to sit in his car seat when it is the living room and I have gotten all the pieces back together. He always has. I guess he thinks it is his own personal "leather recliner" for TV watching. He is such a man (in the making).
If you are wondering, that is peanut butter on his cheeks. He had just eaten his daily peanut butter fold over, in his words.
With this round of washing, I discovered it must not be just a man thing. While I was taking Evie's car seat apart, she crawled over and was all over me trying to see what was going on. As soon as I got the seat back together, she came over and immediately started trying to climb in it. So I helped her out.
Yes, she LOVED it. What is up with my children? I discovered the very next day that Evie did not need my help getting into the car seat when John Reagan started screaming, "Mommy, she's gonna fall." Evie had climbed the first 3 stairs in the house. The child doesn't even walk yet. She is working on the cruising part, but shouldn't she be able to walk before she climbs stairs? I am a little confused.
Back on track, John Reagan and Evie looked so cute in their car seats, I had to sit them side by side.
You should know by now what is taking place here. You guessed it. Watching TV! What can I say? My children are learning early that practicing safety first really pays off. You never know what can happen while sitting in your living room. It never hurts to be prepared.

No comments: